Try Hypnosis Audio For Free!

Monday 5 December 2011

6 Sure Fire Tricks for Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain

by Sara Novak

Are you eating healthy food?
The season of weight gain has already begun. It all starts with an enormous Thanksgiving feast and culminates with the drunken festivities of New Year's Eve. Come New Year’s Day many of us are awoken to the added bulge surrounding our bellies and thighs.
No matter where you’re prone to gain weight, none of it feels good. It’s an unnecessary setback and constant weight fluctuations are bad for your health.
While I won’t divulge how many years that I’ve gone through this downside of the holiday season, I will say that it’s no longer an issue in my life. Over the years I’ve compiled a list of sure fire ways to avoid the holiday weight gain, no matter who you are.

1. Eat Only When Seated

Holiday grazing is one of the largest sources of weight gain. It’s not necessarily the quality of the food that we eat, it’s the amount. Resolve to never eat while standing up. In the end, this means that you'll avoid snacking and eating between meals.
I just got back from a trip to Indonesia and though I indulged in meals that were larger than I normally would have eaten at home, I lost weight on the trip. At first I was confused until I realized that I didn’t have a single snack while I was there. Eat three meals a day and let that be it, especially during the holidays when meals are larger.

 2. Don’t Eat Anything With a Wrapper

Do your best to avoid foods that come with a wrapper. These are the foods that cause us to gain the most weight. Stick with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Processed foods are too easy to grab and therefore, cause the most weight gain.
Stay away from chips, prepackaged cookies, candy, processed meats, cheeses, and other fatty dairy choices.

3. Try the Meditation Diet 



Try and remain in balance during the holiday season. This means try to get on a regular meditation schedule. I like to meditate for a bit in the morning and in the evening, that way I can ensure I'm engaged in the present moment during both portions of my day. You don't have to sit for a long period of time, ten minutes is a good start, the key is that you're consistent. Allow this mindfulness to translate to your diet as well.
Meditate on your meals. Notice every aspect of the taste, texture, and smell of your food. And when you're full, stop eating. The same goes for drinking, don't get drunk so that you lose that mindfulness at the party and have a hangover the next day. That's two days of mindfulness shot. Notice how food impacts you. Did the pumpkin pie make you feel good after you ate it? If not, do you really want to feel crappy again?

4. Hone Your Morning Routine

When winter rolls around try and avoid slipping into that place where activity falls by the wayside. Set your workout cloths by the bed so that in the morning you can slip off the bed and put on your outfit. Start the day with a brisk walk or run before you even know what hit you. If you’re not into walking or running, choose an activity that you do like. I have my yoga mat out and ready to go so I roll off my bed and onto my mat to get my day started right.

5. Plan Activities With the Family

Planning activities is an ideal way of controlling weight gain and keeping you sane. Plan outdoor games for the whole family. This way you’re not all sitting around eating and gossiping.
If your family is making you crazy, plan an activity apart. Both my husband and I live far away from our families so we usually plan long visits. To break up the time, we often hit the park with the dogs or go play tennis for a few hours.

6. Choose a Go To Alcohol-Free Beverage

The holidays are often marked with excessive alcohol which can be problematic in already stressful weight gain situations. Keep drinking to a minimum and make sure most of your drinking is done with a meal rather than on a empty stomach. Not only is drinking problematic while it’s happening, it can put you in a bad place the next day.
Instead, have a go-to non-alcoholic drink like club soda with cranberry and lime, watered down juice, or your favorite mocktail planned so that you stay sober.

Like this? Follow me on Facebook and  Twitter  

No comments:

Post a Comment